The D.C. Policy Center is hiring a Program Manager. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Program Manager will work with the Center’s team to (i) expand the reach and awareness of the Policy Center’s research products with relevant audiences; (ii) communicate the Policy Center’s message; (iii) build and manage relationships to maximize Policy Center’s policy impact; and (iv) track impact metrics to demonstrate the Policy Center’s value.
The ideal candidate will embrace the Mission and stated purpose of the Center; will have broad knowledge of urban economics and policy; expertise in communicating policy messages to a wide audience; strong writing, editing, and project management skills; and will possess the ability to create and maintain relationships with stakeholders. A deep knowledge and understanding of the District of Columbia, its government, budget process, demographics, and economy is desirable, but not required. Familiarity with evaluating legislative proposals is a plus.
Experience: At least 3 years of relevant experience
Salary range: $80,000 –$100,000
Benefits: Health, dental, and vision insurance, contributions toward retirement savings, a dynamic, flexible work environment.
Priority application deadline: October 13, 2023
Preferred start date: November 1, 2023
Work environment: This is an on-site position that requires in-person work.
- Coordinate research projects, supporting research teams with publications, including events or other release activities.
- Provide editing assistance and quality control for the Policy Center’s research products.
- Help research teams synthesize their findings with summary documents and key messaging language.
- Track legislative activity to identify legislation that is relevant to the Policy Center’s mission and research agenda.
- Work with research teams to prepare testimony and other types of legislative engagement.
- Assist with designing, formatting, and typesetting presentations and publications.
- Design, manage, and execute the Policy Center’s communication strategy across all platforms and audiences,collaborating with the rest of the Policy Center team to ensure that Policy Center products (i) speak to the needs of key audiences and stakeholders and (ii) contribute most effectively to a productive policy debate in the District of Columbia in furtherance of the Center’s stated Mission, stated purpose and goals.
- Manage the Policy Center’s online presence.
- Assist in maintaining website as needed and oversee website design decisions.
- Prepare newsletters and other materials that communicate the Policy Center’s research products to a broad set of stakeholders.
- Monitor impact metrics that help demonstrate the value of the Policy Center’s research products.
- Manage the Policy Center’s relationships with elected officials and their staff.
- Build relationships with journalists, policymakers, and other stakeholders in local and regional non-profit and business communities.
- Track media coverage and other use of the Policy Center’s research products.
- Support preparation of materials for Board meetings.
- Assist with the preparation of the Policy Center’s Annual Report.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, experience, and skills requirements
- Education and/or relevant experience in public policy, public administration, public relations, or a related field.
- A knowledge of urban economics and policy and current research in these areas.
- Strong writing, copyediting, and proofreading skills.
- Strong organization skills, a high level of attention to detail, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to learn quickly and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience interacting with government officials, foundations, business groups, community advocacy groups, and research organizations.
- Experience communicating complex research and quantitative analyses to policymakers, media, and general audiences.
- Experience using analytics for WordPress, MailChimp, and major social media platforms in designing and evaluating communications strategy.
- Basic familiarity with HTML.
- Experience in coordinating logistics and planning events.
- Strong time management and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple tasks and projects and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively in teams.
- Strong familiarity with D.C. policy issues.
- Commitment to the D.C. Policy Center’s mission.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
- Experience working with elected officials.
- Familiarity with quantitative research methods, especially in economics or social science.
- Experience in report design and typesetting.
- Experience in mapping and data visualization (GIS, Tableau).
To apply, please send a resume, a cover letter, and samples of relevant work as PDFs to email@example.com with the subject line: Program Manager. Priority deadline is October 13, 2023. After that, applications will be considered on a rolling basis. The start date for this position is negotiable but is ideally November 1, 2023.
About the D.C. Policy Center
Established in 2016, the D.C. Policy Center is a non-partisan, non-profit 501(c)(3) think tank committed to advancing policies for a strong and vibrant economy in the District of Columbia.
The mission of the D.C. Policy Center is to arm decision makers with fact-based, unbiased, and reliable research and analyses to help create a vibrant local economy that can maximize opportunities for residents, workers, and businesses in the District of Columbia.
The D.C. Policy Center informs policymaking by offering data and analyses on the District’s economy and residents. More: dcpolicycenter.org/about.
The D.C. Policy Center is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other protected status under federal or District law. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.